The startup permit: the application in a nutshell
Thanks to their important contribution to innovation, startups are highly appreciated in the Netherlands. To make it possible for ambitious entrepreneurs to establish a startup in the Netherlands, a specific residence permit has been created. The conditions of this residence permit are less strict than those for a residence permit for the self-employed, as the points system does not apply. However, it is essential that the startup is innovative. For example, the service or product is new for the Netherlands; new technology is involved in production, distribution or marketing; the organizational set-up and working method within the startup are also innovative.
Terms and conditions
The most important conditions at a glance:
- Your product or service is innovative.
- You have a business plan in which you explain step by step your processes from initial idea to functional business.
- You plan to work with a reliable facilitator (a list of such reliable facilitators can be found on the website of the Netherlands Enterprise Agency (Rijksdienst Voor Ondernemend Nederland).
- You and your facilitator are registered with the Chamber of Commerce.
- You have enough money to live and work in the Netherlands.
Additional terms and conditions may apply. Please contact us if you have any questions.
Permit validity period
The period of validity of the permit is 1 year. At the end of this period, you may apply for a permit to continue working on a self-employed basis.
The application procedure
Mynta Law can prepare and process the application on your behalf. The application procedure in most cases as follows:
Step 1: Choosing the right application
Mynta Law can help you to quickly select the most appropriate request. This means that we determine which type of residence permit is the most suitable in your situation. We also assess whether you need a provisional residence permit (also called MVV), or whether you can apply for a full residence permit without an MVV.
Step 2: Submit the request and pay costs
The application is submitted in writing. In the application form, you can indicate from which IND office you would like to collect your residence document once your application has been approved.
Step 3: The IND assesses the application and makes a decision
The IND checks whether you meet all the conditions and requests advice from the Netherlands Enterprise Ageny (RVO). The IND must make a decision within 90 days at the latest.
If the IND rejects your application, we will of course inform you about your rights and about the possibilities to challenge the decision.
Step 4: Completing the procedure
Once the application has been granted, you can pick up your residence document at the IND office you chose in step 2. If you have applied for an entry visa, you will also now be able to collect it. Finally, you may need to register with your municipality (City Hall). Mynta Law will assist you in all these practical matters.
Which documents do we need?
In order to be able to assess whether you are eligible for the residence permit, we need at least the following documents:
- A copy of your passport (all pages with stamps or visas).
- Your CV.
- Your highest degree certificate.
- A description of the product or service that you offer.
It is possible that we will require more documents from you, depending on your specific situation.
Still have questions?
Feel free to ask your lawyer any questions you may have. If you are not yet a client and have questions, please feel free to contact us by phone (+31702051160) or ask your question via the contact form.
Mynta Law has been rated:
based on 82 ratings on Legalscore
- Dutch American Friendship Treaty: a residence permit for American entrepreneurs
- New IND policy: residential address requirement for EU long term permit holders
- Two Types of Permanent Residence Permits in the Netherlands: This is What You Need to Know About Them
- Self-employment visa: work as a self-employed entrepreneur in the Netherlands
- How to get a permanent residence permit as a privileged diplomat in the Netherlands?
- Unemployed Highly Skilled Migrants: Eight Options to Extend Your Legal Stay in the Netherlands
- The benefits and potentials of the Dutch American Friendship Treaty: American students in the Netherlands
- The scientific researcher's permit: the application in a nutshell