The intra corporate transfer (ICT) permit: the application in a nutshell

Employees who are being transferred within a multinational to a branch office in the Netherlands may make use of the Intra Corporate Transfer Directive. This is a European regulation through which managers, specialists and trainees can apply for a combined work and residence permit (GVVA).  


The most important conditions at a glance:

  • You are not a national an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, and your main residence is outside the EU at the time of application.
  • You work for a company located outside the EU and are being transferred to a branch in the Netherlands.
  • You have been employed by the company for at least three months before this transfer.
  • You will retain your employment contract with the company based outside the EU. No employment contract may be concluded with a Dutch branch.
  • You have the qualifications and experience required to be a manager or specialist in the branch to which you will be transferred. If you are a trainee, you must, in all cases, have graduated with a higher professional or university master's degree.
  • You earn at least the salary level that applies to highly skilled migrants.
  • The employer in the Netherlands carries out economic activities and was not set up for the purpose of admitting transferred workers to the EU.
  • You have not resided in the Netherlands, with a previous intra-corporate transfer, during a period of 6 months prior to the current application.
  • If you are a trainee, you must follow a trainee program not be regarded as a regular employee.

Additional terms and conditions may apply. Please contact us if you have any questions.

Permit validity period

The term of validity of the combined residence and work permit (GVVA) is a maximum of 3 years, for managers and specialists. For trainees the maximum term is 1 year.

The maximum validity period includes transfers to other EU member states.

The application procedure

Mynta Law can prepare and process the application on your behalf or on behalf of your referent. The application procedure in most cases is as follows:

Step 1: Choosing the right application

Mynta Law can help you and your referent to quickly select the most appropriate request. This means that we determine which type of residence permit is the most suitable in your situation. We also assess whether you need a provisional residence permit (also called MVV), or whether you can apply for a full residence permit without an MVV.

Step 2: Submit the request and pay costs

If your employer authorizes us to do so, we can submit your application online for you. In other cases, we can also submit the application in writing. In the application form, you will be able to indicate from which IND office you would like to collect your residence document once your application has been approved.

Step 3: The IND assesses the application and makes a decision

The IND assesses the application and checks whether you meet all the conditions. Assuming the application is correctly submitted, the IND must make a decision within 90 days at the latest.

If the IND rejects your application, we will of course inform you about your rights and about the possibilities to challenge the decision.

Step 4: Completing the procedure

Once the application has been granted, you can pick up your residence document at the IND office you chose in step 2. If you have applied for an entry visa, you will also now be able to collect it. Finally, you may need to register with your municipality (City Hall). Mynta Law will assist you in all these practical matters.

Which documents do we need?

In order to be able to assess whether you are eligible for the residence permit, we need at least the following documents:

  • A copy of your passport (all pages with stamps and visas).
  • Your CV.
  • Your highest degree certificate.
  • Your employment contract (if you already have one).

It is possible that we will require more documents from you, depending on your specific situation.

Still have questions?

Feel free to ask your lawyer any questions you may have. If you are not yet a client and have questions, please feel free to contact us by phone (+31702051160) or ask your question via the contact form.