The internship permit: the application in a nutshell

Many international students opt for an internship in the Netherlands as part of their overseas studies. In order to complete this internship in the Netherlands, the student will need a residence permit. In this case, this will be a combined residence and work permit (GVVA), which gives the right to stay and work in the Netherlands.

There are a number of specific internship programs that students may take advantage of, such as the Young Workers Exchange Program (YWEP) or the ErasmusPlus scheme. A variety of conditions apply to these internship programs. For more information, please contact us.


The most important conditions at a glance:

  • You are following an education at high / secondary school level at an educational institution outside the Netherlands, or you have obtained a diploma at an equivalent hbo-, hbo-, or wo-level (Dutch high school categories) in the last 2 years. In the context of an mbo education, the internship may only take place as an obligatory part of the study.
  • You have both an internship agreement and an internship program.
  • Your employer is willing to declares that they will provide a reference.
  • Your employer is registered with the Chamber of Commerce (if required under the Trade Register Act 2007).

Additional terms and conditions may apply. Please contact us if you have any questions.

Permit validity period

The period of validity of your residence permit is equal to the duration of your internship, for a maximum period of 1 year.

The application procedure

Mynta Law can prepare and process the application on your behalf or on behalf of your referent. The application procedure in most cases is as follows:

Step 1: Choosing the right application

Mynta Law can help you and your referent to quickly select the most appropriate request. This means that we determine which type of residence permit is the most suitable in your situation. We also assess whether you need a provisional residence permit (also called MVV), or whether you can apply for a full residence permit without an MVV.

Step 2: Submit the request and pay costs

The application is submitted in writing. In the application form you can indicate from which IND office you want to collect your residence document once your application has been approved.

Step 3: The IND assesses the application and makes a decision

The IND assesses the application and checks whether you meet all the conditions. Assuming the application is correctly submitted, the IND must make a decision within 60 days.

If the IND rejects your application, we will of course inform you about your rights and about the possibilities to challenge the decision.

Step 4: Completing the procedure

Once the application has been granted, you can pick up your residence document at the IND office you chose in step 2. If you have applied for an entry visa, you will also now be able to collect it. Finally, you may need to register with your municipality (City Hall). Mynta Law will assist you in all these practical matters.

Which documents do we need?

In order to be able to assess whether you are eligible for the residence permit, we need at least the following documents:

  • A copy of your passport (all pages with stamps or visas).
  • Your internship agreement (if you already have one).
  • A certificate of registration from your educational institution.

It is possible that we will require more documents from you, depending on your specific situation.

Still have questions?

Feel free to ask your lawyer any questions you may have. If you are not yet a client and have questions, please feel free to contact us by phone (+31702051160) or ask your question via the contact form.