The work permit for cooks in the Asian catering sector: the application at a glance

For chefs working in the Asian catering sector, there is a special arrangement. These employees are eligible for a combined residence and work permit (GVVA), without the employer first having to search for a suitably qualified worker in the Netherlands or another EU country. This is a condition for a regular GVVA application, the so-called “labor market test”. However, the employer is subject to a number of other conditions, such as the obligation to report the vacancy to the UWV 3 weeks before the application for a GVVA.


The most important conditions at a glance:

  • The employee will be working as a cook in a restaurant serving the following cuisines: Chinese, Indian, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Thai, Tibetan and Vietnamese.
  • The duties of the employee will be classified according to Function Levels 4 to 6 (specialty chef, sous-chef/general cook or chef).

Additional conditions apply for the employer. Please contact us if you have any questions.

Permit validity period

The validity of the residence permit is for a maximum period of 2 years. This permit may be renewed.

The application procedure

Mynta Law is able to prepare and process the application on behalf of the employer. The application procedure in most cases is as follows:

Step 1: Choosing the right application

Mynta Law will help both the employee and the employer to quickly determine which is the appropriate request. In effect, this means that we determine which type of residence permit is the most relevant to the specific situation. We also assess whether the employee needs an entry visa (also called MVV), or if the residence permit can be applied for without MVV.

Step 2: Submit the request and pay costs

The application is submitted in writing. On the application form it is possible to indicate from which IND office the residence document can be collected, once the application has been granted.

Step 3: The IND assesses the application and makes a decision

The IND assesses the application and checks whether all conditions have been met. If the application is complete, the IND usually makes a decision within 90 days.

If the IND rejects your application, we will of course inform you of your rights and what the possibilities for challenging the decision are.

Step 4: Completing the procedure

Once the application has been granted, you can pick up your residence document from the IND office you chose in step 2. If you have applied for an entry visa, you will also now be able to it. Finally, you may have to register with your municipality (city hall). Mynta Law can assist you with all these practical matters.

Which documents do we need?

In order to be able to assess whether you are eligible for the residence permit, we need - at least - the following documents:

  • A copy of your passport (all pages with relevant stamps or visas)
  • Copies of any certificates or diplomas you may have
  • A copy of your employment contract (if you already have one).

It is possible that we may require more documents from you, depending on your specific situation.

Still have questions?

Feel free to ask your lawyer any questions you may have. If you are not yet a client but have questions, feel free to contact us by phone (+31702051160) or ask your question via the contact form.